Dental Exam & Cleanings
Your initial visit will include a comprehensive dental examination of the following:
- Examination of Diagnostic Radiographs (x-rays): Radiographs are required for detection of dental caries (decay), tumors, cysts, and bone loss, most frequently due to periodontal disease. Dental radiographs can also help determine tooth and root positions for necessary operative treatment
- Oral Cancer Screening: An examination of your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for tissue abnormalities
- Periodontal Evaluation: Examine the soft tissue and bone around your teeth for gingivitis (gum inflammation) or more serious signs of periodontal disease
- Dental Decay Examination: All tooth surfaces will be clinically examined for decay using dental instruments specifically designed for cavity detection
- Examination of Existing Restorations: Examine and record current fillings, crowns, and existing conditions to create a complete dental history for you
Professional Dental Cleaning
Our team will provide you with a thorough, professional dental cleaning, known as a dental prophylaxis, during your routine appointments. A typical routine cleaning appointment involves:
- The removal of calculus (tartar) above the gum line using specifically designed instruments. Calculus is a hardened deposit that firmly adheres to the tooth surface both above and below the gum line.
- The removal of plaque, which is a soft bacterial film on the teeth. This is accomplished through the use of polishing agents and a dental hand piece designed to clean away stains and soft debris.